Numbers 3-6

by, Patty Alvord

“The LORD bless you and keep you; The LORD make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; The LORD lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.”

I am a girl who loves numbers. The first time I studied the book of Numbers, I was the one who had such a good time adding how many were in each tribe when they went into the wilderness and adding how many were in each tribe when they got to the Promised Land. Fascinating stuff, right?

In Numbers 6:24-26, I noticed another number and I wondered if there was some special significance for it. As we read the Aaronic blessing, we notice that “The LORD” is mentioned 3 times in 3 different connotations. So, of course, I thought about the importance of the number 3 in Scripture as it related to the Trinity.

“The LORD bless you and keep you”. Yahweh, the Father of the Godhead, is often the One Who Blesses. He is the One Who Keeps Us.

“The LORD make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you”. In 2 Corinthians 4:6, we read, “For God, who said, ‘Let light shine out of darkness,’ has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.” Also in 2 Corinthians 12:9, Paul writes, “But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” Jesus, God’s beloved Son, became the face of God shining on us and bringing grace to us.

“The Lord lift up His countenance upon you and give you peace.” Romans 8:6 tells us “For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.” And in Romans 14:17, “For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.” Of course, peace is the fruit of the Holy Spirit as He manifests Himself in our hearts. 

God the Father blesses and keep us. God the Son lifted His face to shine on us and give us grace. God the Holy Spirit indwells us and gives us peace.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts