Numbers 11:1

by, Kim Killebrew

“Now the people complained about their hardships in the hearing of the LORD, and when he heard them his anger was aroused. Then fire from the LORD burned among them and consumed some of the outskirts of the camp.” Numbers 11:1

A complaining spirit. How often do I have a complaining spirit? Far too often, I’m afraid. Complaining is easy and lazy.  Why? What do I have to complain about? Nothing, absolutely nothing. I could list the blessings of my circumstances. Like most everyone I know, I have few wants or needs. But were my circumstances different, shifted to the right or left, would I then have the right to complain?

The Israelites were at the beginning of their wanderings. They had no home. They had food, but no variety in their diet. Their possessions were limited to what they could carry in a setting referred to as a wilderness. Comparatively to my life and likely yours, they had more of a right to complain than I do. And yet, their complaining spirit caused God’s anger to burn against them. 

Who am I? Who do I think that I am? How could I think for a moment that I deserve what God has not given me? And if I am not to complain against the sovereign decision-making of the Lord, then what is my contentment and joy to be based on?

If we look back at Numbers 10:29, we quickly find the answer. “And Moses said to Hobab the son of Reuel the Midianite, Moses' father-in-law, ‘We are setting out for the place of which the LORD said, “I will give it to you.” Come with us, and we will do good to you, for the LORD has promised good to Israel.’" 

Here Moses is urging his brother-in-law to join him. “Come with us,” he is saying. When we urge people to join us, we’re convinced that where we are going and what we are doing is good, right, and better than where they are going or what they are doing. Moses’ persuasion was based upon two things - a promise and a promise giver. There was a promise of a good place where good things happen. And these promises were delivered by the Holy God of Israel - the only one who could promise it and keep it.

Maybe Hobab was distracted by the difficulty of the Israelites’ circumstances. Maybe he was drawn to what he already had. Hobab refused the offer and returned to his home where he likely complained about what he didn’t have or how easy his life was not. 

Contentment and joy is disconnected from what we already possess and where we already live. We know that God did provide a good place for the Israelites in Canaan and good things did happen for them there, but it didn’t last. Within a few generations, brother began fighting brother and idol worship captured the hearts of the people. Their good land became war-torn and their freedom was short lived. 

Yet the promise and the promise giver remained the same for them and remains the same for us. While we possess a good land where good things happen for us, we complain. It is what is ahead that should give us the deep contentment and joy that sustains us and keeps us worshipping the promise giver without a grumble or complaint. Faith. 

One day that promise will come to fruition. We will possess every good and perfect thing in a good a perfect body in a good and perfect place. But look at what we already have! A good and perfect God. Let us praise him!


“Lord, you sovereignly reign and give. I lack nothing in you. Keep my complaining lips closed and my heart continually turned to praise. Help us, Father, as you alone can."

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts