Enemies


Psalm 21:8 "Your hand will find out all your enemies; your right hand will find out those who hate you."

Since beginning to read the Psalms this summer, I have had a question pressing on the back of my mind. Who are my enemies?

So many in this first Book of Psalms, are written by David.  As the king of Israel, he had many enemies - warring nations, Saul (the first king who refused to acknowledge God's anointing of David), and even his own son, Absalom. Naturally, he would write about his enemies and how they tormented him. David would beg for God's salvation - immediate and eternal. But the Psalms are written to us as well. God must have meant for these Psalms to apply to us. If so, who are my enemies?

According to Strong's Concordance the Hebrew word for enemy or enemies is the same root, "ayab." It is found 72 times in the book of Psalms, 274 times in the Old Testament. It simply means "to be hostile to." Biblical translators use the word enemy or enemies 32 times in the New Testament. The Greek word is "echthros." It's definition is a little more clear - "hated, odious, hateful, opposing one another; used of men as at enmity with God by their sin."

Here's a little study of this word looking at some New Testament scriptures containing the words enemy or enemies. The verses below define our enemies and how we should treat them.


Matthew 5:43-48

Matthew 10:34-39

Acts 13:8-10

Romans 5:7-10

Romans 12:18-21

Philippians 3:14-19

2 Thessalonians 3:11-15

James 4:1-8


Now, what will ultimately happen to the enemies of God?


Hebrews 10:11-13


Revelation 11:1-14


I hope this is a helpful exercise for you as our worldview continues to be shaped by the word of God. As always, I'd love for you to share your thoughts below.



Comments

  1. I’ve been really struck by these references to enemies as well. But on the other end I think. I’ve been searching my heart trying to figure out how I’m being an enemy to others. Not being glad for others or celebrating their falls. It’s embarrassing to say that out loud. That I would have that wickedness inside me. I am thankful for the revelation of this sin in my heart through reading the psalms.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts