Kissing

Good Morning!

Here we are at Day 2. Only 59 days more to go. We can do this - together. In the power of the Holy Spirit, may he find us faithful to him each day as we seek to meditate on his word.

Psalm 2, the beautiful Messianic Psalm. Charles Spurgeon introduces the Psalm like this:

"We shall not greatly err in our summary of this sublime Psalm if we call it THE PSALM OF MESSIAH THE PRINCE; for it sets forth, as in a wondrous vision, the tumult of the people against the Lord's anointed, the determinate purpose of God to exalt his own Son, and the ultimate reign of that Son over all his enemies. Let us read it with the eye of faith, beholding, as in a glass, the final triumph of our Lord Jesus Christ over all his enemies."

If you were to follow the basics of our Bible Study model looking for qualities of God, qualities of man, commands, and promises, this Psalm would fit very neatly into that exercise. God has set his Son on the throne, but people plot in vain against him. Who are these people? Verse 2 identifies them as "kings of the earth" and "rulers." Having a very small position in the world at large, that would certainly exclude me. I am no king or ruler. However, I am a believer in Christ and as such am quite aware of the pride that plagues me daily. In my heart I far too often crown myself and my own desires and put great effort into ruling my little world and circumstances. So I am not so quickly excluded. Am I one of those enemies to be broken "with a rod of iron" or dashed to "pieces like a potter's vessel?"

Looking at verse 12, we see the remedy (the command) that leads to redemption. "Kiss the Son." A kiss is "a sign of love among equals, (Genesis 33:4, 1 Samuel 20:41, Romans 16:161 Corinthians 16:20) of subjection in inferiors, (1 Samuel 10:1) of religious adoration in worshippers (1 Kings 19:18 Job 31:27)." Without having our eyes opened to the true ruler of the earth, Jesus, we are all enemies. But once we have been called and reconciled to him, we are no longer enemies but equal sons sharing in the glorious, eternal inheritance of heaven. That pride that still troubles me is the remnant of the old man that I was. It is my sin nature, that "enemy within", that must be broken and dashed daily. Kissing the Son brings my heart into a right posture with Christ. He is my sovereign Lord worthy of my subjection. He is my beloved Redeemer worthy of my adoration. And he is my tender brother, having forged a path of perfect obedience for me, worthy of all of my love.

Right relationship with Christ would be enough, and yet our generous God gives us more. In verse 12, we find the promise of all promises. "Blessed are all who take refuge in him."

May we meditate on this Son and kiss him today!
In Christ,
kim 

All quotes above were taken from "The Treasury of David" by Charles Spurgeon found at https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/treasury-of-david/.




Comments

Popular Posts