Praying the Psalms and Tim Tebow

How's it going? Here we are 13 days in. How's your batting average? I've already had a day where I got busy, neglected my reading, but the Holy Spirit was gracious to not let my head hit the pillow without a sweet conviction that I still had an open invitation to meditation of God's word. So thankful! Our God is faithful!

The Psalms are perfect prayers, aren't they? I am sure you have already been praying these words for yourself and others. Is there anything better than adopting the language of our beautiful, holy God? Several years ago, Tim Tebow came to Memphis for an event at the FedEx Forum where he was the speaker. I was so impressed by him. When he spoke, he spoke scripture. The word of God was continually on his lips and it overflowed from him so naturally. Wouldn't that be a lovely thing for people to say about us? And what a remedy for the constantly offensive tongue I still possess!

Looking at Psalm 43 and 73 this morning, I wanted to write a prayer to the Lord that reflect those verses.

"Father, may I only be led by your light and truth. May I be faithful to follow them to you and your heavenly dwelling place amongst your people. And Lord help me to lead my family and friends in your light and truth as well. (Psalm 43:3) 

Oh God, when I come into your presence, may I be filled with the exceeding joy that belongs to you alone. Whatever I set my mind on, whatever my hands find to do, wherever my feet take me, may I do it to praise you, glorify you, and lift your name high. You are God of the universe and God of my life. (Psalm 43:4)

There are days when I feel discouraged, alone, and afraid. Why is that? You are the God of hope. The hope of today's rescue and the hope of eternal salvation is yours. Help me never to forget it! I believe, help my unbelief! (Psalm 43:5)

The truth is that it is good to be near God! In him I have a secure refuge. Help me, Lord. May my words and my actions proclaim the good works of God to everyone for it is good to be near God! (Psalm 73:28)

Amen.


Consider this exercise and share with us what you have prayed in the comment section below. May our lips speak God’s words so that we are people marked by beautiful, gracious, life-giving speech.


Comments

Popular Posts