Resolving to Not Sin and the Brevity of Life

After studying the book of James this spring, I have, along with most everyone else, become more acutely aware of the sin of my tongue. The gut punch that squarely hits my stomach when I think about all of the ways my tongue has led me into trouble is hard to bear.  In Psalm 39, it seems David has a similar understanding.

Psalm 39:1, "I said, 'I will guard my way, that I may not sin with my tongue; I will guard my mouth with a muzzle, so long as the wicked are in my presence.'"

Read what Charles H. Spurgeon has to say about this verse.

"To avoid sin one had need be very circumspect, and keep one's actions as with a guard or garrison. Unguarded ways are generally unholy ones. Heedless is another word for graceless. In times of sickness or other trouble we must watch against the sins peculiar to such trials, especially against murmuring and repining. That I sin not with my tongue. Tongue sins are great sins; like sparks of fire ill words spread, and do great damage. If believers utter hard words of God in times of depression, the ungodly will take them up and use them as a justification for their sinful courses."

How true! It is so hard to keep watch over our tongues. Our words, which are the overflow of our heart's feelings slip out so quickly. The enemy within us and our enemies without, stand ready to condemn us at every moment. Grumbling, complaining, gossip, slander, unbelief are expressed with an unbridled tongue. Those that hate us and hate the God that we serve stand ready to use and abuse our words with wicked joy. It is a difficult tension to live within. But David, who really understood what it meant to be hated by many enemies, found comfort and joy in the brevity of life. Look at Psalm 39:4, "O LORD, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!"

Again, read what Spurgeon says regarding the tension between "the already and the not yet."

"That there is no end to its misery is the hell of hell; that there is an end to life's sorrow is the hope of all who have a hope beyond the grave. God is the best teacher of the divine philosophy which looks for an expected end. They who see death through the Lord's glass, see a fair sight, which makes them forget the evil of life in foreseeing the end of life. And the measure of my days. David would fain be assured that his days would be soon over and his trials with them; he would be taught anew that life is measured out to us by wisdom, and is not a matter of chance."

"Life is measured out by wisdom." How beautiful! We long to be free from our sin nature and the world of sin around us. God in his wisdom has measured our days to teach us to keep our eyes fixed on him and the hope of eternity. May we be resolved today to keep our tongues bridled by keeping our hearts focused on his truth. But may we only find confidence and comfort in the hope that is his alone.

All quotations above were taken from Spurgoen's Treasury of David, found at https://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/treasury-of-david/psalms-39/.

Comments

Popular Posts